Saturday, September 08, 2012

Dante's Eagle Project

Well I really am starting to feel my boys grow up. When Dante set his eyes on the eagle Rank in scouting I thought it would take him a while to really get moving. He surprised me and really started to question, ponder and search for a project. He found a project serving Dehesa Charter School's Montessori elementary program in Escondido. To use his words from his project book this how he describes his project:
 
"I plan to build two picnic benches for Dehesa Charter School’s lunch area.  These picnic benches will be approximately 6 feet long.  They will be made out of red wood and sealed to protect them against rain and weathering. Currently the students have no place to eat their lunch.  They have only the floor or the classrooms to eat.  The benches I will build will give the students a clean and healthy environment to eat their lunch. It will allow the students to eat in groups and strengthen friendships. The benches will also keep the students in one place so the teachers will know where they are, raising the overall security of the students."
 Step one is to find an eagle counselor willing to support him through the process. As we were traveling to her house we thought it would be nice to cool down with some ice cream..actually we were a little early. :0)
He was very nervous sitting in his counselors living room that I had to snap a photo. Can't you just see the nerves in him.  
Step 2 was to fund-raise for the money to pay for his project. We all went back and forth because we didn't want him to just beg for the money. After a few ideas of car wash, yard work, babysitting etc we settled on if you donate $20 or more we will deliver a dozen of fresh donuts on the following Saturday. WOW! that was a hit...People sure do love their sweets or Krispy Kreme donuts hasn't been in this area for awhile.He made $500 bucks off 30 boxes of donuts. It was very exciting to see it all start to come together.



Step 3: Purchase all the required supplies to complete the project. Dante got all decked out in his official uniform and went to talk to the Lowe's manager to see what discount he can get for his project. Why do I ever shop at Home Depot...Lowe's was WAY easier to work with for sure. He got everything at cost minus the $100 Grant Lowe's offered him which was very helpful.He's getting good at bossing people around!

Dante and Rodd decided to have Lowe's cut the larger pieces of wood. That way we can load them into the truck to travel home. Honestly, that was the best part of this leg of the project. That saw is so fun to watch. 
Dante found out that he had enough funds to provide shade for the tables with an umbrella and stand. Again, I am so impressed with his commitment..did I mention how much I love this kid? Now it was time to haul this stuff out to the car.
 Loading the car was kind of a pain but they got it done. If Javier is reading this from his mission in Costa Rica we can say that only a few scratches happened to a truck that is almost his, not quite yet though, he still has another year to go before it is earned.
Step 4 it was what I like to call D-Day. Wednesday September 5th and it was time to get the project built and completed before Dehesa Charter School started their new school year. Problems occurred and Dante had to adapt quickly but I sat there and did exactly what I told him I would do..NOTHING! Parents are not meant to do the project but he knew if he needed me I would jump to my feet and help. 

Project started at 6 and once people arrived it was like putting a puzzle piece together. 
You could just see the confusion on all the youths faces.






but then they got it going. What an accomplishment. It took a little slower to get started but it was moving now.
I had to run as Dante asked me to get dinner for everyone and root beer floats. Nice! Except I didn't realize I would be off on my own journey. I ran to Vons bought root beer and ice cream and off to Costco for a enough pizza to feed an army and along the way I lost all the money. Don't ask but then it turned up and let's just say after a phone call to Rodd I made it clear vocally that I was NOT speaking to him hehe! WAY to support me in my moment of panic Rodd.. I would insert the clapping hands here but looks like only the iphone supports that. ;)Don't fret the food arrived just fine!


The next obstacle was that Dante didn't plan on it getting dark so he was not prepared with a light source. I have to re-sate that or Dante won't be happy...Rodd responded to Dante's desire to bring light stating that he wont need it. Here is the lesson: as an eagle scout the biggest obstacle is to not allow a parent to override your leadership. Here it hurt him because it got so dark that Dante asked me to shine my car lights on the project in hopes to get enough light to get the rest of the stain on it and call it a night.

 Time for table number 2:
First sweep all the sawdust off:




Because it got dark too fast on the project day Dante, Gabe and I went back the next day after classes at MSA to complete the project.

Dante made sure the stain was put on in all the right places.




Gabe worked on the base of the umbrellas. Turns out that was a little harder then we originally thought it would be.  
I was so sick with some major stomach pains. On the way home I actually made my way to the ER to get some pain management support. So as I laid on the floor I snapped some photos from there hence the angle of the photos. 






one more visit makes for an even more exciting finish. He got his final signatures from the regional Manager of the school Tony Drown.
What a great way to end his project FINALLY! I am exhausted again just writing about it. Dante is amazing and keep a close eye on him because he is absorbing so much knowledge watch out world because as he grows he may be the change this world needs. Except he was born in Mexico ugh! so no presidencies for him.