Friday, July 31, 2009

NIGHT HIKE

Trying something different on a Friday night. Rodd has been working such long hours so he wasn't able to make it on the hike but we will definitely do it again.

We started the night off with Elly asleep so we decided to haul the stroller with her in it. She slept for almost half but the stopping to listen to stories awoke her interests. The rest of the hike had Javier pushing it and I won't lie there was some very soft sand which caused some resistance with the stroller. He complained that he was going to be sore. He leaves Monday for a high adventure trip that will have him hiking more than 10 miles.

Needless to say that she did not stay in the stroller for very long. She eventually made her way out and into my arms. I hauled an extra 24 pounds for a good distance. I hope I lost a few more pounds for that. Although on our way home we stopped for ice cream and I am sure that didn't help. Burn the calories make room to add more calories. Is that a good theory? The docent had some great stories and pointed out Poison Oak to the group. He ate a leaf because he was not allergic to it. Must be nice to have no reaction to it. Along the trail we encountered a tarantula so he picked it up and showed it to the group. I was so bummed to have forgotten my camera so we are stuck with the camera phone photos.

We all really enjoyed it. Then the hike progressed into the evening and some of us got a glimpse of a mule deer.

Elly was so nervous about being out at night she really complained half way in that she wanted to go home. Seeing animals "raawww" she said to tell me that she didn't want to move forward to try and see animals. It was very cute. Seeing a bat house was pretty great too.


I really want to head back and take the hike to the waterfall that they have. Tonight we went a little over 3 miles. Not bad for a little exercise, I hope to sleep good tonight.