Gabe recently was given an assignment to read The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan. He is in a Young Statesman Club (YSC) that meets twice a month and each month there is a different book assigned and all the boys get together and discuss the book. This book was a hit. Let me tell you, if you have not read it ,go out and get it. Really!! It seems to be that good. It all started with Gabe. When book one in the series was completed he asked to get book two. Well we always want to encourage the reading habit so we got the set for him. He encouraged Dante to read it so he can discuss it with someone. With some reluctance he finally read it. It took him a day and half to finish it (by the way Gabe couldn't put it down so he read it in a day). Gabe continued reading through the series and is now on book 5 in the series. Dante as well got hooked and continued on the additional books.


With all my classes and personal studies I personally just felt like I could not grasp an additional book. So I encouraged Javier to read it. I feel much more comfortable when a member of my family had read what my younger kids are reading for two reasons:
- It helps to foster a discussion
- I like to monitor what my kids are reading. If it happens to have inappropriate subject matter I prefer it to be discussed with Mr. D or me.
Javier was busy with his own readings and stated that if he could find the time he will. No problem. I overheard Dante bugging him for days to read it. Javier even stated that the harassment to read this great book will have to stop. He will read it when he finds the time. To quiet them down he sat down and started to read it. Well long story short he is now on book 5 and it has taken him less than a week.
Now they are working on Mr. D. He is scheduled to start reading the series this weekend. My kids have had their heads in books all day long and in every moment they possibly can (even Elly). On the sofa, in the car, on the toilet, in bed with light and even after lights out with the night light glow to view the words. It's so good that one will risk eye damage by reading with little to no light. So check it out and ENJOY the addiction.