Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 5 Chile Trip- Heading home

Well I woke this morning much easier then the last couple of days. I am ready to head home and see my whole family together again. We traveled all this way and there is something we must do prior to taking off..... Visit the temple of course!

chile 104chile 105

On google it looked like a short walk to the temple but since we left late it was more like a brisk walk. We even started to wonder if we would make it so we grabbed a cab only to find out the street we were looking for was about 6 tire turns away. When the cab driver found out we were Mormon he kicked us out of his cab... oh well at least we were at a familiar location. This could have been a lot worse. We found the temple, took a minute to grab our breathe and walked in. We had such a great experience there. We did baptisms and Javier was able to be the priesthood member in the water. I can't explain the feeling of pride I felt to watch him in that capacity. It's these moments that make all the tough moments well worth the climb. Xandi and I got to do a session together in Spanish. It was interesting to say the least and I needed a lot of help. That is where the different Spanish words were more obvious then in any other moment. Javier waited for us outside in the garden area of the temple. He took some photos to help us remember years later.

chile 086chile 089chile 091chile 094

It was hard to leave a place that brings so much peace into our lives.
 chile 106
But we were headed out on a late night flight back home. Truth be told I was so excited to get that trek home started.

Of course nothing goes as planned. We hired a driver to get our gear to the airport. (Xandi has so many bags..seriously!) last minute he calls and said that he doesn't have a car big enough for that many bags..ugh! so we had to hire two cars and two drivers. I feel totally ripped off and annoyed but oh well I am headed home and nothing is going to stop that from happening....well at least not a cab driver! Javier drove with our stuff in the 2nd car and I started to notice his Spanish understanding increasing as we approached the end of our trip. I must add though I did have a little fear that the driver would take Javier and all our money, gear and disappear. So when we arrived at the airport and there was no Javier in sight I had a a little fear that disappeared when he pulled up 30 seconds later. Whew!

We arrived at the airport with just enough time to pass customs and get on the plane. Any more stalling and we just might have missed the flight. They were boarding the plane when we arrived at our gate. Well it's off to an all night flight back to the United States of America.